Wednesday, July 20, 2011

'Sala Kahle' South Africa!

Sala Kahla means 'Stay Well' in Zulu. I don't want to say Hamba Kahle or 'Goodbye' because I hope to see you again very soon and get to know you much better, South Africa... December perhaps?

So, I'm in Benoni near Johannesburg Airport 'relaxing' before Part II of my journey through Africa. I'm essentially the only guest at this hostel with a beautiful room, king size bed, flat screen TV, and outdoor pool that is calling my name at the moment...

However, I am literally in the middle of nowhere surrounded by farmland with two rottweilers who patrol the hostel (not gonna lie, they're frightening, but I'm safe?)

I leave tomorrow for Jinja, Uganda to visit Mallori, one of my best friends from high school :).  We will also be taking a 5 day trip to Ethiopia together and I just can't wait to see her and her life in Africa!

Paired with my excitement, I'm feeling a bit sad after saying farewell to my team from the US yesterday. They are currently finishing up their layover in Paris en route to Boston... my thoughts and prayers are with them as they head home. I wouldn't know where to begin on re-capping my time in Pretoria, South Africa, so today I just want to share some memories with you:

Game Park Round 1: Gorgeous day but animals were far away!

Some of US Team in SA at Game Park 1:
Back: Amanda, Hillary, Tati, Sarah, Michelle, Kaylee, Me, Ron, & Ben Bell
Front: Ari, Valarie, Kelly, Maddie & Jess
Game Park Round 2: Krugersdorp...
Animals up close and personal... AMAZING!!!

Baby Simba and me!

Still sleepy, but he sat up for me!

Tati, Tara, Me, Ben Bell, & Hillary at Krugersdorp Game Park :D
Post-Sunset drive back from wild animal fun...

Kia's last day of teaching math to the Roosters!

3rd Place went to the Roosters at Mamelodi's Got Talent:
La Cucaracha (I taught my class some Spanish ;), free-style dance, & a bit of singing!

Making great friends in South Africa: Where's SS, Ari?

'Eish' ... found him but not sure where Kia & SS are looking...

Rehab (Refelwe) & Grace Swing Dancing:
'Outstanding Attendance' & simply two beautiful girls
Roosters gettin' crazy on the last day of school!

Lily Pads & Red Rocks at Klein Kariba

Sunset over Klein Kariba from 'Baboon Nation'...
(about 20 baboons hiding behind me on the rocks- a bit scary)

Happy-sad tears shed saying good-bye to a new best friend, Ari <3!
Thank you Todd & Tara Humphreys for encouraging me to take this journey!
I love you guys and wish you the best in Boston- hope to see you soon :)

To my folks and friends who haven't heard this yet (love you!), I hope to return next year to help facilitate the Mamelodi Initiative and Community Development here in Pretoria, while I wait for law school decisions, but there are many plans and prayers needed until then, so for now... Hamba Kahle South Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment